Turmeric tofu tacos….sounds weird maybe. But they’re absolutely delicious and a real flavour sensation. The kiwifruit adds another depth of flavour, and a hit of vitamin C (which is great for increasing iron absorption!)
turmeric tofu tacos
- 300 g firm tofu, cut into large cubes
- 3 tbsp quinoa flour, or chickpea flour
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 pinch Iodised salt & black pepper
FOR THE TACOS
- 1 whole carrot, grated
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 60 g red cabbage, thinly sliced cut into 1/2 cm cubes
- 1 whole kiwifruit
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 6 corn tortillas, warmed
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- Prepare the taco ingredients: grate the carrot and mix with the chia seeds in a bowl. Thinly slice the red cabbage. Dice the kiwifruit. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Slice the avocado. Lay the ingredients out ready to make the tacos.
- For the tofu: mix together the flour, turmeric and salt and pepper in a shallow bowl or dish. Coat the the tofu in the flour and turmeric mixture.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add the coconut oil and turmeric tofu and pan fry until the tofu is crispy.
- Warm through the tortillas either in a the microwave or oven.
- Serve with the salads, the warmed tortillas, and the vegan mayonnaise.
Kiwifuit is a low fructose, high vitamin C fruit, so it’s a great choice when adding a little sweetness and vibrancy to a dish. Vitamin C helps increase iron absorption up to six-fold. Great news, as iron can be lacking on a poorly planned, plant-based diet.