Our Supergreen Pesto Penne is jam-packed full of vibrant nutrition. Kale for vitamins A & C and minerals, fortified nutritional yeast for B12, even nori to make sure you’re getting enough iodine in your diet. This might be the healthiest pasta recipe ever created!
supergreen pesto penne
FOR THE PESTO
- 25 g basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 25 g pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 50 ml olive oil , extra virgin
- 50 g kale
- 1 sheet nori
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pinch salt & pepper
FOR THE PASTA
- 100 g dry wholemeal penne pasta
- 100 g Asparagus
- 200 g broccolini
- 200 g roasted pumpkin, optional *
- For the pesto: roughly chop the kale and saute in a pan with a splash of water. Cook until tender.
- Place the basil, garlic cloves, pumpkin seeds, nutritional yeast, olive oil, kale and nori into a blender or food processor. Blitz. Gradually add the water until the pesto comes together in a smooth paste. Taste and season well with salt and pepper.
- Store in the fridge for 3 days. If keeping for longer, freeze.
- For the pasta: bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook according to packet instructions, or until tender. Drain and return to the empty saucepan.
- Into a frying pan on medium heat, add the asparagus and broccolini and a little water. Cook for a couple of minutes until tender but still bright green and crunchy.
- Add the asparagus, broccolini and one quarter of the supergreen pesto to the saucepan and stir through. Serve topped with roasted pumpkin if using, or just on its own.
Iodine can be lacking on a plant-based diet, and the only natural, plant-based source of iodine is seaweed. If you’re 100% plant-based (or even 90%) it’s a great idea to look out for ways to get more seaweed into your diet. Whether it’s grabbing some sushi snacks, or blending some wakame or nori into your pasta and salad dressings. Avoid hijiki seaweed though. It contains arsenic.