This is one of our all time favourite recipes. The combination of the spicy chickpea curry with the natural sweetness of the sun-dried tomatoes is really unexpected, but delicious.
sun-dried tomato & chickpea curry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 240 g chickpeas, drained
- 100 g sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable stock, or Massel 'chicken' stock
- 160 ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp sweetener, stevia or blackstrap molasses
- 100 g pak choy
- 100 g snowpeas
- Lemon and fresh coriander to garnish, if you have some handy
- Optional - rice to serve
- In a heavy based pan, over a medium heat, saute the garlic, onion and ginger until soft and translucent.
- Add the garam masala, and cook until fragrant.
- Add the chickpeas, sun-dried tomatoes, stock, coconut milk and stevia. Turn the heat down to low and allow to cook for 30 to 40 minutes until rich and creamy.
- Taste and season with salt and extra stevia if needed.
- For the greens: If fresh and young, simply boil a kettle of water and pour over the greens in a metal colander to lightly blanch.
- To serve: place curry in a bowl, top with greens and garnish with lemon and coriander. Serve with a side of steamed rice if you like.
Chickpeas are a great source of protein, as well as folate. They’re one of the healthiest and most versatile ingredients on a plant-based diet. Keep a couple of BPA-free tins in the pantry to add to a curry, salad, or make some quick and easy hummus.