This salad is fantastic as a side or a main dish! Grilled eggplants are one of our absolute favourites. If you’re lucky enough to have access to a BBQ, try grilling them on there. They’ll taste amazing!
quinoa & eggplant salad
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1 cm slices
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp stevia-erythritol blend
- a pinch of salt
- 100 g rocket
- 1 bunch of dill
- Seeds of 1 pomegranate, if available
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1/4 cup coriander
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- First, give the quinoa a thorough wash to remove the bitter coating on the outside. Then, place in a saucepan and cover with water. Place on a medium heat and bring to the boil. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain and place to one side.
- Meanwhile, take the thinly sliced onion and place in a small dish. Coat with vinegar, stevia and salt. Toss through and place to one side.
- Lightly oil a pan with olive oil. Cook the eggplant over a medium heat in a thick based pan, turning every couple of minutes until cooked through.
- To make the dressing, place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blitz to combine. Check consistency, if very thick, add a dash of water to thin a little.
- To serve, toss the rocket, quinoa and onion mixture together and lay onto a serving dish. Top with the eggplant and torn dill. Drizzle over the herb dressing. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds, if available.
Pomegranates are a fantastic source of polyphenols that can reduce inflammation, and even lower blood pressure. They’re delicious on salads, granola and roasted vegetables.