If you haven’t tried Jackfruit yet, you’re missing out. Get onto it! It’s a fibrous tropical fruit that has a decidedly meaty texture and really absorbs the flavours of anything that it’s cooked with. This Jackfruit Masala is the perfect dish to show it off.
- 1 can jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- 2 inch piece of ginger
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp fenugreek
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 200 g coconut yoghurt
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 lemon
- Over a medium heat, fry the onion, garlic & ginger until soft & translucent.
- Add the garam masala, fenugreek, cumin & paprika, cook until fragrant. Keep stirring.
- Add the tomato puree, vegetable stock, ground almonds & jackfruit. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir through the yoghurt, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on a bed of rice, topped with coriander, chilli & sesame seeds.
Jackfruit is low in protein, so make sure you’re getting plenty of protein from other sources throughout the day. Add some lentils to your rice, or some tofu to the masala.